Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Surgery Day

Good evening I'm posting at midnight so I can tell you the details of the entire day.

Living proof that it works! The right side is the one I just had done
7 Months ago. The left one is the one I just had surgery on.
AMAZING I got a picture today so you all can see the difference. 


So this morning my surgery was scheduled for 9.15am Mountain time. By scheduled I mean that's when you get there. So this is how it goes:

.Check in with all your insurance and information including signing tons of papers about allowing them to do such and such.

.Wait for Nurse.

.Go back with Nurse then sign more papers and double check health information yadda.

. Get the IV. yuck I honestly think I was dreading that more than anything.

.Talk to doctor.

.Talk to anesthesiologist (which mine was awesome today!)

. Then Hopefully if yours is like mine Go back to surgery.

I got into surgery about 10.30am. Last time though I was an add on surgery and was told to be at the hospital by noon and didn't have surgery until around 3.00pm ish. So I'm really grateful it went much smoother this time! The surgery went well also it took a little longer than they told us but that's okay for me! I mean really I get to just sleep threw it! Which was amazing to wake up from because I knew it was all over and that this was hopefully the last surgery I need.

Coming Home:

It's kind of nerve racking when you have to come home. I mean riding in the car isn't too bad but getting in can be a little rough. Then when you have to go home. I suggest if possible never use stairs the first day! You are really dizzy and hungry because of the surgery and I've been told i'm really good at using crutches so that just say something. Also It snowed here two days ago and I live in an old home that the walk way is very small so it was tough. Luckily my dad is a strong man and held my waist. Just something to be aware of if you are using crutches straight out of the hospital. Some people get wheelchairs.

Honestly I have to apologize now. It's really hard for me not to compare this to my last surgery but I want to be able to give you the best advice possible if you are considering going threw this surgical procedure.

Last time I had a bone shaved down on the inside of my foot and a tendon tightened.Then directly on the opposite side there was this procedure. The tendon surgery was pretty painful and It was TOO swollen to put inside the boot for 3 weeks which also was very uncomfortable.

Why i'm telling you this is because right now I don't feel too bad but I think someone who has never had this surgery would be around 5 or 6 maybe a little higher depending on tolerance. I've always handled pain pretty well so I will have you keep that in mind also. PLUS I'm sure it differs between anesthesiologist on how you actually leave the hospital. I've been numb sense around 2 and have only had to take one lortab every 4 hours. It's starting to feel like that may be wearing off now. At least a little. So I took two just a couple minutes ago to make sure I'm not screaming in pain tonight because last time it got pretty bad.

Luckily I do have the boot on this time which, let me tell you is SO comfortable comparatively to the way I was bandaged last time. I hope the swelling stays down enough so I can keep it this way.

Other than that I'm just weak and tired. and Hoping that the pain is okay tonight and tomorrow. I'll be sure to update.


Tips and tricks:

A few things you may consider doing in preparation.

This is how my bathroom is set up--


Red Arrow-- 
Hand sanitizer! Let me tell you. I think I'm pretty brilliant for this. Not really but it's awkward to try and wash your hands while applying NO pressure to your foot on crutches. So I advise you to invest in some and stick it by the toilet so after you flush you can squirt some out and be on your way.

Blue Arrow--
This is a Basket with a pillow on it. This is to comfortably rest your foot on it without having to worry about putting any pressure on your foot. Honestly it works better than it looks. I'm sure this is optional but  its much more comfortable than holding it up foot while trying to relieve yourself. 


To come: How to Shower after foot surgery! (now this is genius.)

Kristy.The.Foot.Gal

1 comment:

  1. thanks for doing this blog, i am about to cry right now!! Your picture of your left foot looks exactly like mine from the back. I have not had surgery but that is the next step. I can't even walk the dog anymore, the pain after is so bad. Seriously thanks for sharing. When people find out I have flat feet I really don't think they get it. I am 46 and am glad you are taking care of this at your age. no one would listen to me at that age, and here I am now disabled because of chronic pain. I take Lortab all day, but my feet need lidoderm patches for me to be able to sleep at night. So, thank you again. It will be really hard for me to go to bed soon instead of reading this.

    ReplyDelete