Monday, May 20, 2013

Nonunion Week 1| Surgery Plan

I've been going to the same doctor for about 10 months now. He is the doctor that took out my plate in my right foot.. He kept telling me that "You are young you'll bounce back!" and my appointments were about 2 months apart each time. I kept trying to express how much pain I was in and he kept brushing it off. So finally a week ago I said forget it (in not such nice words), and found another doctor for a second opinion.

Turns out I was right. The pain levels I'd been having were not just my brain making up stuff. I have nonunions on both of my feet. Saaay what? yep you heard that right nonunions (meaning that the bone graft didn't take and I've been walking on a cut open heal bone). Pleasant stuff let me tell you. It's about a 20% chance of the Evans Calcaneal Osteotomy ending in a nonunion. 

We had a slight scare that my ankle joints may have been damaged but the CT scan showed that they were fine! First real good news in a while. So basically I will be getting nonunion repair on both feet! wooo (maybe that's too much excitement). 

We are figuring out a date and then I will be able to post more details. Sense it's not just a untouched bone that we will be working on now he will need to figure out the best way to put a new graft in. I'm thinking of having him use my own bone this time but it is only a 5% higher chance that my own bone will take.. and it will cause more pain in a different area so he wanted to think about it first and then make a plan. 

I'm a different person then I was two years ago when I started this journey. I'd say I'm a better person. I hope to handle these upcoming surgeries differently. I'm deciding to not put my life on hold this time and to also continue being active. I've lost a lot of weight the last 10 months and I'm not looking to stop! I'm feeling healthy in every other aspect of myself and I am looking forward to sharing my journey with all of you! Keep tuned and remember if you are going through this Please do not hesitate to talk to me. Even if it is just to chit chat about the hardships or let me know how you decide to handle things! Thanks so much for reading!

Here is a little photo of a few things I"m going to miss once again!:

top left-right: standing in shower, tip toes
Bottom Left-Right: Sitting Indian style, sitting legs close to body

2 comments:

  1. The pain you had gone through is not fun. It's good to hear that you made your decision to look for another doctor and found someone who would listen to your concerns. See, you already got an improvement with your new doctor! I hope for your progress. Take care!

    Javier @USHealthWorks.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. VIRTUAL REALITY: VIRTUAL REALITY AND VIRTUAL REALITY
    vr sports betting games - VIRTUAL REALITY. VR Sports - The most realistic sports simulation. Vr mp3 to youtube games, virtual reality, virtual reality, VR.

    ReplyDelete