Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Reoccurring Theme



I'm not sure if I've openly talked about my opinion on situations such as mine (anything that is life changing or altering). It's easy to see that I am physically handicapped. It's not as easy to see or be aware that there are two sides to having a physical handicap.

This is a very personal subject to me and I have only shared it with a handful of close friends and relatives. I strongly believe that there is always a physical and mental challenge while tackling a life changing situation, whether it be changing your diet or losing your feet. It's something that I have been able to be more aware of as I have been going through this for almost 3 years now.

Think about it this way. When you decided to cut out that daily dose of Mickey D's french fries you don't just do your body good but you mentally tend to crave or even miss it like a long lost friend. Studies have shown that people over eat because of their feelings.

I've had so many experiences and still to this day encounter at least one person a day that can not see past my physical trial. They want to know what happened? What is this thing you are on? how long have you been in that cast/boot? Is it going to get better? and well.. when you are honest and say "I do not know and neither does my doctor" they all seem to shrink away. I witness their face gone from curiosity to immediate pity. Most cases these people ask some less "harmful" questions and then walk away and continue their day leaving me with the awful sense that I just told them their dog died.



I'm not sure where you say "HEY I'M A HUMAN WITH THOUGHTS AND FEELINGS." I haven't quite figured this out yet. I usually just scoot along and find a quiet place to read or indulge in my current obsession. The sense that every time I encounter someone like this doesn't go or fade away though. It lingers and sits like I just ate rotten food. In fact I've had it happen over and over with immediate family and close friends, where they swear to me that I don't deserve this and that I will get better. Then I have to silently tell myself that they mean well but the real truth is no one knows the outcome.

It's hard to make friends when so many people look at me and all they see is a big booted foot.

Until next time,

TheFootGal

3 comments:

  1. It does get frustrating after a while, especially if it’s the same people who keeps asking you about it. I wouldn’t mind if the one who noticed is someone who hasn’t seen me post-injury, but if it’s someone who I usually bump elbows with every few days, it feels like they just can’t find any decent conversation starter than my arm cast.

    Anyways, hang in there and stay positive! Cheers!

    Tracey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tracey! It is indeed frustration and I'm at the point where I realize it's not something I can change and that even if it is a majority of people there is still a group of people who see the person!

      Delete
  2. As always Kristy I can only talk about your Foot Issue cause I have been there too but in a different time and place so our experiences with it will always be slightly different but I just wanted to say in response to your blog, You have a friend in me regardless of big boot, small boot,no boot, I dont care so keep punching my friend!

    ReplyDelete